Monday, April 15, 2013

A Mothers' Day soap made with Love

Have you ever noticed that once you become a mom you appreciate your own mom so much more? My mom grew up in the Netherlands in the 1930s and '40s and her childhood experiences were nowhere close to my own; I have been richly blessed. In 2006 my 5 siblings and I, along with our mom went to see the land of our forefathers. We toured the area my mom grew up in, and then we went to see where my dad came from. We saw childhood homes, met relatives and enjoyed the history and architecture of the land. The day that would have been my parents 50th wedding anniversary, had my dad not passed away almost 3 years prior, we spent at the famous spring garden, the Keukenhof. It was a beautiful day and the flowers, particularly the tulips, were breathtaking!
The tulip fields along the way

Along the riverbank at the Keukenhof
I have such fond memories of that trip. And when I came across a 'Tulip' fragrance oil on the Natures Garden website 2 thoughts came to mind:
  • I didn't know that tulips had much of a scent
  • I gotta get that for my mom!
And so I did! I've been dreaming up this soap for months. Determined to come up with a design that would remind my mom of the tulips from her native country, I started by pulling out the plastic chocolate holders I had saved from a box of wooden shoe chocolates that a friend had given to mom and made some wooden shoe embeds. To represent the tulips I made a whole lotta soap curls. Then I went to it. And now that Mom has her early Mothers' Day gift of the entire first loaf, I present to you "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" Shea Butter Bar.
"Tiptoe Through the Tulips" Shea Butter Bar

"Happy Mothers' Day, Mom!"

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I almost cried when I red that. So many beautiful thoughts. Your mother will be so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear/read this introductional story,it gives a special touch to the soap in viewer's eyes. Beautiful soap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the story AND the soap it inspired - I think that is what makes it really neat with soaping, you can say so much with your artwork and put so much love into a small (and useful) package.

    ReplyDelete