Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"Just Peachy" Color Palette Challenge


It seems the soaping world has been inspired by Amy at Great Cakes Soapworks; while Amy has taken a break during the busy soaping season from issuing her famous soap challenges two other soap challenges have begun: The Melt and Pour Soap challenge issued by Anne-Marie from Soapqueen.com and The Color Palette Soap Challenge issued by Erica from Bath Alchemy. While I love reading the Soapqueen's blog I don't make melt and pour soap so I haven't jumped on that challenge; however the soaps created by those who are participating are amazing, so be sure to check them out. 
Erica's challenge sounded interesting to me. Participants are encouraged to theme a soap around a colour palette that she posts each week. I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity for me to try out a new technique that I've wanted to do for some time now - the Peacock Swirl. But I don't have a slab mold and didn't want to invest in one at this point; nor did I want to make huge batches of soap at a time for this challenge. As I was taking the recycling out one day I came across a plastic container that held dishwasher tablets - perfect! I watched the tutorial (again) that Amanda did on her Lovin Soap Blog, and set out to do Erica's challenge.
The first week is the 'Just Peachy' palette. I chose a slow moving recipe, and coloured my apricot freesia fragranced soap with chromium green oxide, sunset orange oxide, red oxide and gold mica (gold kinda got lost somehow) and went to work on my very first Peacock Swirl! Alas, the 'tines' on my 'rake' were too short and muddied up the mix, but one of my six bars isn't too bad for a first try.




The second colour palette challenge is entitled 'Street Tones' - check it our here. I hope my Peacock Swirl improves for this one.

3 comments:

  1. Love your soaps, they look great! And the Color Palette challenge is such a fabulous idea, I'm so glad for all the inspiration we can give each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome first Peacock swirl. I think it came out great. I made a soap using this palette in Apricot Freesia as well. Great minds think alike. So glad you joined in the challenge, and I am looking forward to your next soap creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, I will have to try out this lovely technique!

    ReplyDelete