Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Countdown to Christmas!

What a beautiful fall we are having! The days are warm, the evenings are cool and the colours in nature are fabulous!! I'm determined to enjoy every minute of it, especially because when I looked at the calendar today reality hit me - Christmas is in 3 short months! It's a reality we soap makers must embrace because soap needs time to cure and while 4 weeks is the general rule of thumb, I personally prefer a 6 week cure.

Here are some of my Christmas soaps that I've been working on.

Apple Cinnamon
I love the texture in this one, and who doesn't love the smell of apples and cinnamon.

Christmas Memories
I tried this fragrance oil last year and loved it. The middle layer has no colourant at all, and it discoloured to this caramely rose. That would explain why the green and red are a bit darker than I intended. It's a strong scent of pine, cloves, cinnamon and cranberries which sounds kind of odd to me, but somehow it works - very Christmasy.



Cracklin' Birch
The blue is a bit lighter than I expected, but I like it. It smells like a spicy floral. This one and Christmas Memories are both goat milk soaps with mango butter.

Gifts of the Magi
This one is my favorite. I was curious as to what frackincense and myrrh were like, so I ordered some and infused my olive oil with the crushed nuggets for this recipe. Such luxurious gifts need tussah silk as well for some added decadence, and to finish it off, a sprinkling of gold mica. I expected the scent to be musky but it really isn't; the fragrance description reads "A well rounded accord of frankincense and myrrh, vanilla extract, with unique top notes of French jasmine and English Ivy." It just smells wonderful to me!


With my Christmas soaping well under way I still have time to enjoy this exceptional fall weather.  Happy Autumn Everyone!!

3 comments:

  1. They are all so beautiful, but my favorite is also Gifts of the Magi. Love the yellow color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I "found" your blog the other day and have been looking forward to your next post since then.
    Gifts of the Magi is a beautiful soap with its warm colors but my favourite two are Apple Cinnamon and Cracklin' birch. All the soaps together make a beautiful Christmas collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful soap collection. And the pics are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete