Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Photographing Strawberries & Cream Soap

Photographing my soap is a skill that I really want to work on. I've tried all kinds of lighting, a few props here and there for animation, and of course playing with different settings in good ole photoshop. I have a lot to learn that's for sure; but one thing that I have discovered is that outside lighting makes for the best pictures. Any of the photos I've taken outside recently have had little to no touch ups.

Strawberries & Cream
A delicate swirl of juicy strawberry aroma blended with coconut milk and topped with strawberry soap embeds and a sprinkle of cosmetic grade glitter.







By far my favorite photo of all that I've taken!
Wonder where I'll take photos once the snow starts flying.








Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A couple of soaps for the curing rack

I've begun my fall line-up, a little later than I had wanted, but oh well, whaddayado??

Apple Pumpkin Spice turned out better than I had anticipated. The tiny orange specks are from the pureed pumpkin I added. This fragrance oil generally turns very brown, so I tried to offset that by adding a generous amount of titanium dioxide to my lye water. It's been 4 days now and the colour doesn't seem to be changing much. Maybe?? Just maybe it will hold this colour??? Here's hoping!

Keylime Pie fragrance oil is also notorious for discolouring. See the bottom 'crust'? It has no colourant at all, just the fragrance oil. The top should stay white - it has titanium dioxide and no scent. I have no doubt the other 2 layers will become darker over time.



I've also been working on a gift pack for men, and finally have those ready to go. They include (l. to r.) a light beer soap with tussah silk and litsea cubeba essential oil; a goat milk soap scented with drakkar fragrance oil; a dark beer soap with tussah silk and dark african cocoa butter; and another goat milk soap, this one scented with green irish tweed fragrance oil. The pack also includes a soap net. And here's what it looks like all put together in an organza bag.
I searched and searched the web for packaging that would work and in the end bought a meter of organza fabric and made the bags. Took a few tries, but I'm happy with them.