Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Those Pesky Bugs!

It's spring in Alberta, and while we all look forward to warmer weather and outside living, the reality is that we will be sharing the great outdoors with tiny pesky winged creatures. There's no denying that most of us love to be outdoors in the nice weather, but with the warnings against the overuse of 'deet' these past few year what's an outdoorsman to do??

I've recently been pondering this question with my mom in mind; she enjoys summer walks outdoors but those annoying insects inevitably send her indoors. So I've been researching natural products that will repel insects. Enter neem oil. According to discoverneem.com the benefits of neem oil for humans, animals and plants are vast, not the least of which is it's a natural insect repellent that is good for the skin. It reportedly helps relieve symptoms of psoriasis, eczema and acne as well as dry, itchy and irritated skin.

Well, I make soap that is good for the skin. Why not try it? So I did. And soon found out why not everyone is on the neem soap bandwagon - it's odour is not exactly pleasant. But it does look creamy, doesn't it? This was the fastest tracing soap I have ever made. With a blend of essential oils including eucalyptus, tea tree, lavender, and lemon, I'm hoping Mom and I will both be able to enjoy the great outdoors once again.



Buzz Off! soap  


The nutty-garlic smell of the neem oil has already mellowed considerably. It has a distinctively earthy aroma to it now. I'm looking forward to testing it in about 4 weeks' time and will certainly be posting an update.

Here's to summer and the great outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment