Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Salt Soap Challenge - I am so late....

Oh well, I suppose that's why Amy at Great Cakes Soapworks leaves the Link up open for a full week.

I anticipated this to be an easy challenge. I've made salt bars before, so I thought I'd change things up a bit - I used coconut milk in place of the water and pink himalayan salt in place of sea salt. Between packing for the HSMG Conference in Portland and getting a weeks' worth of errands done before leaving I created lovely pictures in my head of a beautiful blue soap with the twinkling of pink crystals shimmering throughout. Mmmm Hmm. Not so much.

This bar is 80% coconut oil, 15% avocado oil and 5% castor oil, 100% coconut milk for the water portion and 20% superfat, and indigo powder in the lye solution. I made this the night before leaving for the conference, figured it would be hard enough for me to unmold after a few hours - wrong. I have to admit though, other than the pre-mature unmolding blemishes it's not as bad as I anticipated.
 I knew I could do better than this, so when I got home I tried again. The only difference in the recipe was that I did not add any colourant the second time round. I also oiled my mold with a bit of castor oil before pouring and waited til the next day to unmold.

  
Much happier with this bar.





Maybe I'll be brave one day and make a salt soap loaf. Or not - I kinda like this shape.

As always, be sure to check out the other challenge participants results if you haven't already.

11 comments:

  1. Cool!!! I love both of them!! Did you add any fragrance? I'm thinking individual molds is definitely the way to go with the salt bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I did add fragrance - white bamboo and grapefruit. I was in a hurry and forgot to plan for fragrance, so ended up grabbing it on the fly. It's one of my favorites, so I kept it the same the second time around.

      Delete
  2. I love the look of the blue, It really seems to fit salt bars, I reckon anyway. But I am amazed how the gentle pink colour came out in the uncoloured soap, or is that just the light in the photo.
    I agree individual molds are the way to go with salt bars. I have done logs and pvc tubes before, but last time I left it too long and ended up with a big mess when I cut it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louisa. The pink is a beautiful soft pink, isn't it? I really like it.

      Delete
  3. Your soaps are really nice, and I love the colour you got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are both very nice and I love the shape as well. I think it makes it easier to hold if you are scrubbing your feet. I need to get some Pink Himalayan salt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Eileen these are simply lovely soaps. The colors and the display very very nice! I like that you added coconut milk to a coconut bar! I bet they bubble up really nice!

      Delete
  5. Can I ask by chance how much indigo powder did you use? And for what size batch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsten! This was a while ago, but if I remember correctly my batch was about 16 ounces of oil, and a half teaspoon of indigo powder.

      Delete
    2. They're really beautiful. Are you happy with the recipe?

      Delete