Saturday, April 14, 2012

Challenge #4 - Mojito Soap

This week's challenge from Amy at Great Cakes Soapworks was to make a soap using alcohol. A few years ago I started making my own wine and last year my wine kit supplier introduced me to a Mojito kit. Mixed with a bit of club soda I find it very refreshing, especially in the summer. While I had planned on making a mojito soap for a while now, it did not occur to me to use my mojito drink until Amy issued this challenge. Such a novel idea!

So first I weighed out my liquid content in a bowl and left it on the counter for about 24 hours to go flat. Then I weighed it again; some evaporated but I had expected that so I still had enough - in the freezer it went. Later that day I weighed out the lye and slowly added it to my flat, slushy mojito. No bad smell yet, that was good; beautiful lemon colour; then a nice orange colour (I love orange); now a deep red colour, wow. The lye seemed to incorpate nicely, but it looked a bit syrupy; hmm. Now it was time to mix the lye in with the oils, to which I had already added lime, spearmint and just a bit of litsea essential oils. Stirred it a bit - looked good; stick blended it for 2.5 seconds - wowzers! Quick, split off half and add some spirulina. "Honey help!" "What do you want me to do?!" "Get that other colour and help me pour!" "What other colour" "Oh forget it, I'll do it myself!" Pour, scoop, splat, bang, splat some more, ohhh this did not look good, in fact the chunks reminded me of ... oh never mind, it just looked really bad. Oh well, whatever; quick spray with rubbing alcohol and to bed she went. I did not hold out a lot of hope for this marvalous mojito batch of soap. I poured myself a mojito and lamented my sorry soap.

A day and a half later I unmolded. The colour lightened quite a bit; I even saw traces of the green spirulina which surprised me given the fact that I didn't have time to get much of it in there. My experience with spirulina however, is that it shows itself after a few days or more of curing. So we'll see, I guess.







I have to say, I don't mind it. Not perfect, but not as bad as I expected. And it smells divine! The tops - well - they are ...  frothy. Yeah, that's it - frothy! Just like a frozen mojito. That's what I was going for. Yeesss! At least that's the story I'm going with. (wink, wink)

If you haven't already, you should check out the other soaps from this challenge. They are all amazing!

9 comments:

  1. I really like your soap, I can see the spirulina in there too, very nice, xx Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I enjoyed reading your adventure making this soap. Frozen Mojito! Looks nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting!! Your soap behaved so much like Holly's!! I think it turned out really great - and of course you meant to make the tops look like froth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I think I've learned to hand stir alcohol soaps from this challenge. Your EO blend sounds divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out great! Woo-hoo! DEFINITELY frothy tops! :-) So it must have been the sugars burning like mine and then making it syrupy too. At least we know we can get through it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely creamy colour. Looks lovely.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. You would never know from looking at it that it moved so fast-it looks great and I bet the smell is fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it interesting how the alcohol makes the lye solution turn dark? (It's scary at the time though!) I think it came out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!! You did it and survived. Doesn't it feel like we are on an episode of Survivor sometimes? lol.. I absolutely love love Mojitos. I wish somebody would invent a way to smell though the computer. Ha :)

    ReplyDelete