Friday, March 30, 2012

Challenge #2 - Milk Soap

I love goat milk soap. I love the texture, the creamy lather, but mostly I love the way it makes my very dry skin feel. I've made a number of soaps replacing the full water amount with goat milk.

Last month I saw a youtube video on making soap with greek yogurt. I decided to give it a try and - oh my - I am hooked.
  
This really is the creamiest! After 2 weeks of curing I grabbed the end slice for a test run. The creamy lather was so soft and silky. Love it! (Oh come on, I know I'm not the only soaper who lacks the patience to wait 4 whole weeks to try the new soap!)

The soap challenge from Amy at Great Cakes Soapworks this week was for milk soap. I decided to go with an almond theme: almond milk, almond oil - which I rarely use, and a yummy amaretto fragrance oil that I had just purchased but hadn't had a chance to play with yet. Amy used real chocolate in her video, and while the incorporation of chocolate had often intrigued me, I had never tried it; this seemed like the perfect time.

With so many 'new' elements for this batch, I decided to do some testing. So glad I did. I made a small batch which traced very quickly so I separated it into 4 small containers: one I left plain, no fragrance, no colour; to one I added titanium dioxide and a bit of fragrance; to one I added a bit more fragrance but no colour; and to the last one I added some chocolate melted in olive oil and a bit of fragrance. Stirred them up and they all liquified on me! Guess that was my first false trace. It took a while to thicken up again with stirring (not enough in each container to stick blend), but eventually I was able to pour it at a thin trace.

This is what I ended up with. I decided to do a chocolate base and layer it with the darker of the three light samples, which was the one with no t.d. but a bit more fragrance. These samples I used to make cubes to embed and curls to embellish the top with. When I got to work making the 'real' soap batch I was ready for that false trace, and sure enough, it happened. This time after separating into two containers there was enough soap in each to stick blend back to a thick trace.



 

So, new experiences with this challenge include:
      ~ using almond milk in place of water for the lye solution
      ~ using chocolate
      ~ a new fragrance oil - which smells amazing, btw
      ~ testing to see how all of the elements work together
      ~ false trace

This was a great challenge. I learned a lot, and though I am sure that the soap will darken over time, I'm really pleased with both the look and texture of this soap.

Looking forward to the next challenge!!

 

14 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I love the look of the embeds and top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really got "your money's worth" out of this challenge!! I love the final soap - nice contrast and textures! I can just imagine how yummy it must smell too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I love these challenges, they make me have to think long and hard before making a batch. That's new for me too. lol

      Delete
  3. I love that soap and I am also a goat milk fan, I am so glad to use it:)
    Congratulations with your soaps !
    Curious about the new challenges...

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your soap, very, very pretty. The embeds and curls are gorgeous, as is the addition of the chocolate, x Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Striking & Beautiful -love love love those imbeds! Fabulous result. :) ~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out wonderfully! I love all of it and way to be an overachiever! :-) Now we are all going to have to step up our game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, I so want to try yogurt in my next soap as I've never used it and it sounds amazing. You did a wonderful job.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! Love it and the design... wow! ~Sacha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will these (the greek yogurt and the almond milk) be available on your website? :)

    ReplyDelete