Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cold Process soap for Teeth? Really??

I recently came across a thread on the Soap Making Forum about tooth soap. Intrigued, I decided to do some research and found a number of testimonials on the benefits of tooth soap. Users have reported cleaner and whiter teeth, healthier gums, a decrease in tooth sensitivities, less plaque build-up at dental hygiene check-ups and fresher breath. One website claimed that the lack of glycerin was what made the difference, which doesn't make any sense to me since glycerin is a natural by-product of the handmade soap process. Still, who can resist the call to experiment with this new soap??

First I needed a recipe. I decided on olive oil and cocoa butter, a smidgen of stevia and a tich of peppermint essential oil, and some baking soda to whiten. While shopping, hubby and I came across some silicone square ice cube trays that had me fairly excited. Hubby agreed that we needed new ice cube trays, until I explained to him that silicone ice cube trays to a soaper does not translate to ice. Sheesh, you'ld think he'd know by now!

Aren't they adorable? I think the 1.25 inch square is perfect for swiping the head of a toothbrush on. It stands to reason that the small size would mean shorter curing time. However, this is an almost castile soap, so I will still leave it to cure for at least a month. Should be enough time to line up some brave testers!




3 comments:

  1. Did it work? And did it taste like soap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It worked rather nicely, thanks for asking! My teeth feel much cleaner than with traditional tooth paste, I have a couple of stains between my teeth that have lightened considerably. It doesn't taste very minty, I didn't know how much eo to add so I didn't add much, but it doesn't taste like soap either. Hubby noticed whiter teeth, my sister feels her teeth are cleaner and I haven't heard back from my other testers, I'll have to give them a call. I think the real test will be when I go for a cleaning in the next month or so :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I´m very surprised to hear that! :) I was laughing about the tought of cleaning my teeth with soap. Maby I should also try and see for myself :D

    ReplyDelete